Friday, May 30, 2014

Willie Nelson hits the Upstate

Sometimes it can take a lot to get our favorite New Yorkers to come visit us. Like Willie Nelson.


Turns out it’s a heck of a lot easier to get good tickets at the Charter Amphitheatre in Simpsonville, SC than at the Radio City Music Hall.


I was first introduced to Willie by my father via The Highwaymen, and although Johnny Cash will forever remain my favorite of those historic four, Willie Nelson has a special spot in my playlist. It doesn’t hurt that Roberts also loves Willie – one of the few musical tastes we share.

This one's for you, numurs viens

Everything was kicked off by The Devil Makes Three, a band out of Vermont that plays a mix of bluegrass, old time music, country, folk, blues, jazz, ragtime, and rockabilly. Having toured with Willie Nelson and Emmylou Harris, they are currently in Europe playing sold-out shows in France, Italy, Germany and Spain.


Next up was Alison Krauss & Union Station (featuring Jerry Douglas). Blown away. Gorgeous voice, talented musician, and geez, those lyrics! She’s got a new fan.


Willie Nelson and Family played a non-stop, get-you-on-your-feet, can-you-believe-this-guy-is-81? show full of favorites such as On the Road Again, Whiskey River and Mommas Don’t Let Your Babies Grow up to be Cowboys. Toby Keith’s Beer for my Horses got quite a reaction, as did Superman. My favorite? Always on my Mind.


The guy can still rock a full house.


I'm drowning in a whiskey river,
Bathing my mem'ried mind in the wetness of its soul.
Feeling the amber current flowin' from my mind.
And warm an empty heart you left so cold.

Whiskey River take my mind,
Don't let her mem'ry torture me.
Whiskey River don't run dry,
You're all I've got, take care of me.


8 comments:

  1. Sounds like my kind of concert.... Willie has been around the block a few times --but is still plugging along. I like Alison also.... I'm sure you all had a great time!!!!

    We stay in Simpsonville (Holiday Inn Express) when we are on our way to the beach sometimes....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, still touring, still making music! I hope I've got that inspiration when I'm 81!

      Delete
  2. Geeez, you make it sound like we came only for Willie! Great weekend spent with great people, celebrating a one-of-a-kind four-year-old! (Willie was just a bonus!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know! (I've just yet to write the rest of the posts) But you have to admit, we might never had gotten past the "talking" into the "planning" if not for Willie...

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great night out! Hearing live music is always such a treat - on Friday night I got to enjoy the fantastic choir "Balsis" from Latvia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best choirs from LV always stop in DC, Chicago and NYC... Not much of an audience here in the South?

      Delete
    2. Yep, one of the benefits of living in a major metropolitan area! These guys were just doing a very quick East coast tour - NYC, Boston, DC, Priedaine. But Rigas Doma Zenu Koris has been to DC 2x in the time I've lived here, Gaudeaumus and Latvija have both been here as well. Cannot complain. :)

      Delete
  4. Great lineup! I've seen Willie three times in Texas, I never get tired of him :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...